Sabetha City Commission: Funding agreement is approved
Plans for a Health and Wellness Center (“Center”) are progressing. At the Sabetha City Commission meeting Monday evening, Dec. 11, commissioners approved a Funding Agreement with the Sabetha Health and Wellness Committee (SHWC). The funding agreement allows the SHWC to transfer the funds they have collected to the city to construct the Center.
In September, commissioners approved an agreement between the City of Sabetha and Sabetha Community Hospital (SCH). The agreement with SCH is for staffing and management of the Center. The city will construct and own the facility.
The Center will be located on the SCH facility campus at 14th Street and Oregon Street on real property that is owned by the City of Sabetha.
City Administrator Doug Allen said drawings are being reviewed. The plan is for construction to begin before the end of summer 2018. Commissioners have not yet seen a final blueprint.
Present at Monday’s meeting were Mayor Doug Clark, Commissioners Norm Schmitt, Nick Aberle, Maridel Wittmer and Julie Burenheide, City Administrator Allen, Assistant City Administrator Bill Shroyer and City Clerk Steve Compo.
Sabetha Police Chief Robert Wahwasuck presented his report.
Commissioners approved the following:
• Minutes from the Nov. 27 meeting;
• Wage Resolution No. 2017-19 for Haydn Budenbender, an employee for the electrical department;
• Wage Resolution No. 2017-20 for employee wages, approving a 5 percent raise for city employees, as well as a few merit raises. Commissioners held a 10-minute executive session to discuss this resolution prior to approving with only the commissioners present;
• Changes to the employee personnel manual, adding Martin Luther King Day as an observed holiday and editing the vacation schedule so that it mirrors other communities and businesses in the area, as well as some required legal updates;
• Appointment of Patty Remmers to the Housing Board, replacing Stan Remmers;
• Funding Agreement between City and SHWC for transfer of funds.
The commission’s next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 8, 2018, at City Hall.
Krista Wasinger90 Posts
Krista Wasinger is Co-Editor of The Sabetha Herald, where she has been on staff since 2011. She specializes in city reporting and feature stories, as well as photography and page and advertising design. Krista is a 2004 Fort Hays State University graduate with a degree in communications studies with an emphasis in journalism. She lives in Sabetha with her husband and four children.