Several buildings damaged, hay lost in fire

The combination of high winds and smoldering hay is believed to be the cause in a Friday morning, Jan. 25, fire in rural Sabetha.

At 11:38 a.m. Friday, Jan. 26, the Sabetha Fire Department was called out to the Jim Renyer residence at 2328 124th Road to a hay fire.

“The fire was possibly started by smoldering hay from the previous fire and high winds,” said Sabetha Fire Chief Jim Johnson.

Two implement sheds and multiple grain bins were damaged in the fire, but the extent of the damage is unknown at this time. There were also several large bales of hay that were lost in the fire.

According to Johnson, the amount of damage that was caused by the fire is still to be determined by the insurance adjuster.

The SFD received assistance from the Morrill, Fairview, Wetmore and Goff Fire Departments. The SFD was back at the barn at 5:46 p.m.

Heather Stewart269 Posts

Heather Stewart is a reporter for The Sabetha Herald, where she has been on staff since 2015. She specializes in court and sports reporting, as well as photography. Heather is a 2011 Kansas State University graduate with a degree in psychology. She lives in Sabetha with her husband.

0 Comments

What Are Your Thoughts?

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password