Soil Conservation: Understanding acronyms

Submitted by Toni Flax, Rangeland Management Specialist

When walking into a government office, you may hear acronyms such as CTA, CSP, EQIP and RCPP. If you are familiar with these acronyms, then you know exactly who you need to talk to and why. However, most people who walk in the door may have little understanding and might feel confused. This information may help you better understand the use of acronyms.

In a USDA Service Center, there are several agencies with their own acronyms. The mission of the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is “Helping People Help the Land.”

How is this mission achieved — through NRCS Conservation Technical Assistance (CTA). At your request, we provide technical assistance for your conservation resource concerns on your agricultural lands.

Do you think that you have an erosion problem? If so, please call us, and we will meet with you on your property to discuss what may be happening to cause these issues. We will work on a voluntary plan to alleviate your concerns. We will suggest options or ideas to improve the conservation on your property.

Do you have an issue with trees or water concerns on your rangeland? If so, we can work together to write a conservation plan that deals with the immediate issues. We may also find other resource concerns that could be causing other problems that need to be addressed.

Once a plan is in place, we will look at the programs available and possibly assist you financially to implement your plan. There are several program options available and they are widely known by their acronyms: Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP), Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), and Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP).

These are just a few of the options available. To see the full descriptions of these and other programs, please visit our website at, or call your local NRCS office.

Remember, all NRCS technical assistance is free, and your participation is voluntary. To get started, request Conservation Technical Assistance (CTA). You may discover a program that is beneficial to you and meets your conservation needs. Some producers find that they are willing to participate in specific programs year after year.

For assistance, please contact your local NRCS office or conservation district office located at your local county U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Service Center (listed in the telephone book under “United States Government” or online at More information also is available on the Kansas website at Follow us on Twitter @NRCS_Kansas.


What Are Your Thoughts?


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password